Sunday, October 12, 2008

Ethnography

So, I had planned on going to the Peet's near my place in Westwood. Before I could go, my lovely girlfriend informed me that I was going to take her to the dentist and blah blah blah. So, here I am at the dentist office on Ventura in Encino. We were in the waiting room with a woman with a small child, and a young couple. Score. I was trying to listen to their convo and was preoccupied so my GF accused me of being distracted by the female of the young couple across from us. I explained the task at hand and here we go. I hid my observant face with an issue of ESPN the Mag and I love people who think they're whispering, but they're NOT! So I could hear their entire convo.

They had to be in their early 20s and seemed to be in a higher socioeconomic area then my GF and me. They had on all kinds of fancy name brand clothing on, and the male was spinning a Benz key on his finger as his GF was talking to him. She was telling him that it's not ok for him not to LET her go out with her friends. She was upset because she wanted to go out that night, but he responded that he doesn't like her to go out with her "slutty" friends. She was offended with his comment. His body language was totally disengaged. He was looking the other way as he spoke to her and she was staring right at him with a look of sadness and genuine concern. He never really seemed to break his position. 

She tried another time and asked what evidence he had to prove her friends were "sluts." He responded the way they dress and act. (Pretty vague, huh?). At this point she turned away and they he was called in a bit later. They went in and were gone a bit. My girlfriend came out before them and I didn't get to see the outcome of this one-sided quarrel. 

It was weird to see them, first they obviously were younger than my girlfriend and I, but definetly had a lot more money. They seemed to be in a totally different relationship too. The male in that relationship seemed to really control the female. Everything she said was shot down with a rude, and short answer. End of discussion for her. The only closure to the interaction may have been that they held hands going into the back. Maybe she knew this was a no-win battle for her. Who knows, but thats what I observed and wow, no thanks. I wouldn't want a partner who is going to do everything I say or allow me to control her. Yuk! Maybe its their age bracket. Who knows, but I hope she went out with her "slutty" friends. Word!

No comments: